S.Korea Reaffirms Push For Military Independence After Trump Announced Scaled-Back Drills

ZeroHedge
Published
0
0
S.Korea Reaffirms Push For Military Independence After Trump Announced Scaled-Back Drills
Read the full story at ZeroHedgeOriginal
S.Korea Reaffirms Push For Military Independence After Trump Announced Scaled-Back Drills

Authored by Dave DeCamp via AntiWar.com,

South Korean President Lee Jae Myung has reaffirmed his push for South Korea to regain independent control of its military from the US after President Trump announced the scaling back of joint US-South Korean military drills taking place this week.

The US has had wartime operational control of South Korea’s military since the Korean War, which technically never ended. Combat was halted by a 1953 armistice, but the two sides never signed a formal peace treaty.

South Korean President Lee Jae Myung, Pool via Reuters

South Korea took peacetime operational control, or OPCON, of its military in 1994, but the US still holds wartime OPCON. Lee previously committed to regaining wartime OPCON by the end of his term in 2030, which he reaffirmed at a cabinet meeting on Tuesday.

"A strong alliance makes the foundation of security stronger, and strengthening our own capabilities increases our value and necessity as an ally," Lee said, according to The Guardian.

Also on Tuesday, Wi Sung Lac, Lee’s national security advisor, said that South Korea remained in close coordination with the US regarding joint military exercises.

"Based on the strong South Korea-US alliance, our government has been continuing coordination with the US side on combined exercises and drills between South Korea and the US," Wi said, according to the YONHAP News Agency.

Trump announced on Sunday that he ordered US War Secretary Pete Hegseth to "substantially reduce" Ulchi Freedom Shield, major joint US-South Korean war games that began on Monday, though it’s unclear if they are being reduced in any significant way.

The US president said he took the step based on his "very good relationship" with North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un, whom he met with three times during his first term.

Lee’s office responded by saying it hoped that relationship would lead to "meaningful dialogue" and "discussions aimed at advancing peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula."

Pyongyang has meanwhile downplayed the Trump overture and has not acknowledged any new contacts...

While Trump has framed his action as some sort of punishment over South Korea’s lack of support for the Iran war, it aligns with the agenda President Lee has been attempting to pursue. Just one day before Trump’s announcement, Lee proposed direct talks with North Korea.

Tyler Durden Wed, 08/19/2026 - 21:45

Related Markets

All Markets
View full chart →
View Full Chart

Market data may be delayed. Not financial advice.

Reader Reactions
Reading the article

💡 AI analysis provides alternative perspectives on current events

Support Alto & Gab

Alto is funded entirely by readers like you. Your donation helps us continue delivering curated news from a right-wing Christian Nationalist perspective, powered by Gab AI.

Gab Shop

Support free speech with official merchandise

View All Products

Install Alto on Your Phone

Add Alto to your home screen for quick access to breaking news — no app store required.

iPhone & iPad

Using Safari Browser

1

Open alto.gab.com in Safari

alto.gab.com
2

Tap the Share button

at the bottom of Safari
3

Tap "More"

More
4

Scroll and tap "Add to Home Screen"

Add to Home Screen

Tap "Add" to confirm

Alto will appear on your home screen like any other app!

Android

Using Chrome Browser

1

Open alto.gab.com in Chrome

alto.gab.com
2

Tap the menu button

three dots in top right
3

Tap "Add to Home screen"

Add to Home screen

Tap "Add" to confirm

Alto will appear on your home screen like any other app!
gab

Speak Freely

Join millions on the original and only true free speech social network.

What Makes Gab Different

We're not just another social network. We're a platform built on principles that matter.

Freedom of Speech & Reach

All First Amendment protected speech is welcome. No algorithmic throttling or shadow banning.

Family-Friendly Platform

We maintain a clean environment. Explicit adult content is strictly prohibited.

Western Nations Only

Third-world IPs are blocked. No scammers, no spam farms. Built for Western civilization.

Funded By Users

Our users are our investors and customers. You're not the product being sold.

Battle Tested

A decade of standing strong. Banned from app stores, banks—and still here.

American Owned & Operated

We reject foreign censorship demands. Built by Americans, for free people.